Friday, September 11, 2009

Home Sweet Home


So I've been home for about a week and am still feeling uncharacteristically sluggish: can that still be jetlag? Anyway, I made it back in time for some much needed rain in the Alamo City and lots of Literacy-related meetings. Oh yeah, in case you don't know I work on this: Literacy San Antonio. It's all very nice and the women I work with are in one word: awesome but it can really beat you down to know how dysfunctional this city can be. I swear it's getting better....

Anyway, today is kind of a sad day. A local institution is semi-closing it's doors: Olmos Pharmacy, lately known as the "Bharmacy" as they now offer adult beverages with your pharmaceuticals. Actually they stopped selling drugs a while back, but you know, it had a real historical presence as an independent pharmacy for many years, so the name kinda stuck and got morphed. I remember going there when I was little to sit at the counter for a grilled cheese sandwich with ruffles chips and a chocolate blue bell shake. Truth be told the food was always pretty mediocre, I mean I make better grilled cheese, but the shakes were heavenly. So, we went there for lunch to toast to its farewell. Turns out they ran out of food. Which was kinda smart, nothing to throw out. But we did manage to get ahold of an old-fashioned chocolate milkshake. I was pretty disappointed by the fact that it was delivered via styrofoam cup instead of the traditional metal shake canister and glass/mini brown glasses. But it was still good. Anyway, I hear good things about the new restaurant that will be moving in and we look forward to some new activity in the neighborhood! We moved on to another local institution for lunch: Chris Madrid's. Gotta love that Cheddar Cheesy! If you've never been you're truly missing out! So go and expect a line, but don't worry they move with expert speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment